Wednesday, June 22, 2011

when it rains, it floods.

I'm gonna attempt to describe the past few days in a fairly short post.

You know how every time you turn on the news these days you see tornados, floods, wild fires, earth quakes, tsunamis??? All of these crazy natural disasters??

I feel like my life mimics those right about now. One thing after another.

The saying, "when it rains, it floods", is singing true.

Two short months ago we moved from Birmingham, away from all of my dear family, to Omaha.  Now, this isn't really a bad thing. I'm happy-  most of the time ;) - that we are here, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are supposed to be here, but, still, it has shaken my world.  It has been hard, though not as hard as i expected. I really miss my family. It's a beautiful storm, moving here, finding our place, and settling in a new world.

My brother in law passed away 2 short weeks later.  Death is hard. Especially when it is that close to you.  Especially when you see people so dear to you endure gut wrenching emotional pain.  Weeks have gone by and it isn't easier yet.  Death is never pretty, or easy, or even expected, but this one, was especially rough.  I miss Ben. I hate what my sister is going through. I hate what my parents are going through. And it's so hard to be away.  Even in the midst of this ugly storm, God is here.  His hand print is everywhere.  He is carrying us. He is showing up and doing great things.  This storm is big. It may be the most difficult storm my family ever faces, but even still, i can say, this one is a beautiful storm, too.

This past weekend, the day my mom and sister flew in to Omaha, John was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  Again, seeming like one after another, a storm hit. My ground shook.  The first 24 hours I was terrified.  I didn't know much about type 1. I didn't know what to expect.  But, now, I just hate it for John.  I hate that he has to prick his fingers multiple times a day and administer himself shots 4 times a day.  (My John, who is squeamish when it comes to needles and blood.) And the food. Counting carbs. Cutting out sugar. BOOOO!  John had to stay in the hospital Fri-day and night, Satur-day and night, and Sunday morning and early afternoon.  At least he got half of a Father's day! We are working on establishing a new normal. A normal that is always changing.  The good news, is that I know this will become a beautiful storm, too.

Our few days with my mom and sis did not go nearly as planned. But, it was perfect timing that they were here. Thank you, Lord.

My sister had a hard few days.  Please pray for her.  She and my mom are in the air right now, flying back to the 'Ham.  I miss them already.

Family is so important.

These last few days I tend to find myself waiting for the next "storm". I don't want to live like that.  God has so much for me here and now. And He is good. His plan for me is good.


Matthew 6:25-34

New Living Translation (NLT)
 25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
 28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
 31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
 34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Here are a few pictures my sis took over their visit.  My little budding photographer sister. :)











Sporting our BenBen shirts. (My sweet brother-in-law)

John playing with his father's day toy. :)








So, it has been raining, and storming but at the same time, God has been raining down His love, and mercy, and grace, and He is carrying us through each of these storms... the big ones and the small ones.

OH! And I can't forget to mention the real tornado we ran from on Monday night. Oh my... I haven't been that scared in a long time.  We were out to eat with friends... eating dessert in a restaurant full of windows when the sirens went off and our waiter told us a tornado would be there in 10 minutes.  Ashley freaked out. Then I freaked out. Then we all made a run for it to get to our kids.  We made it safely.... but I'm not so sure the stress of that 20 minutes won't take a few years off of my life ;). (Either the stress or the creme brulee crepes that John watched me eat.)

1 comment:

Ashley W said...

Misty, I am so sorry you have been through so much and I send much love and prayer to Ashley. I can't even begin to imagine the loss of a husband. If you don't mind me asking, what happened? Praying for peace on your road ahead and that the new "normal" will be an easy adjustment.