Monday, April 11, 2011

Done Being Sick! Please! (long post- warning!)

So, it has been a crazy week. We came back from Omaha last Tuesday with a home under contract! Woo Hoo! (I still want to put more effort into a post all about that trip, with John, when he has a moment to spare :)

Anyways, Wednesday afternoon I noticed that I could constantly feel my heart beating a little harder than usual.  Occasionally it seemed to skip a beat. It was really annoying, but I decided not to worry about it yet.  This happened on into the evening and I had a little trouble falling asleep because of it. Once I was out, though, I was out. This started happening again late Thursday afternoon and into that night.  And again on Friday afternoon and evening. I woke up Saturday and almost instantly started feeling the same way again. I had a lot to do for my wonderful friend's shower, so i tried to ignore it all day.  I chalked it up to stress, from being in Omaha (the house hunt was someone stressful), traveling (which, after a HORRIBLE experience on a plane a few years ago, I get anxious every time I'm on one), preparing for the shower (disclaimer- SB, do NOT feeling guilty about this! I really wasn't stressed about it. I was so excited. And I wanted to do everything I did and more for you and sweet Silas. Wouldn't have changed anything about that- except you would have had your donuts, balloons, and hand written card :)- but it was another thing on my plate), preparing myself emotionally for our move, and getting a plan together for the big move.

Saturday, I pushed through the annoying heart beats, got everything done that I needed to get done, and I slept pretty well that night with some Tylenol Simply Sleep- Target brand rather.

Sunday. Oh, Sunday. Day of SB's shower, that I was SO looking forward to.

I woke up with my chest feeling heavy.  I felt like I couldn't get enough air in when I breathed. Not fun.  Still thinking it could be stress, I told myself, let's make it through this shower. I don't want to miss it for anything, anyways.  Maybe once everything is ready and a go, this will all melt away.


I go to mom's early Sunday morning. (This is where we were having the shower) We had lots of decorations to put up, pick up and food to put out, etc.  I figured getting there really early would allow me to do things calmly and stress free.

On the way to mom's, the heaviness on my chest got, well, heavier.  I was border-line light headed. I was a little scared.  I stopped off the exit to gas, in fear that I wouldnt make it to mom's without doing so.

I pulled up, parked by a pump, and questioned whether or not i should ask the firemen parked right next to me to take me to the hospital, or something.  I was almost in panic mode from the crazy things my body was doing.

I stepped out of my car and things got a little better. I could breathe better and my chest wasnt as heavy.

I decide I didn't need to talk to the firemen so I went on my way.

I arrived at mom's and she suggested we go get breakfast. Maybe I would feel better with some yummy food and good conversation.  At this point, we still think it's anxiety or maybe acid reflux. My mom was diagnosed with it a few years ago after having heart tests done, because she was having some similar symptoms I was.

Things get worse. By the time we eat breakfast, which was delicious, (GO TO OVER EASY IN MTN BROOK PEOPLE!) my left arm is hurting and tingling.

I'm thinking HEART ATTACK.

We meet John, who has the boys at lunch after they had gone to church, and we make a trade off.  He takes me to the E.R. and mom takes the boys.  (now i'm worried she will have a heart attack, having to set up for the shower herself, and keep my kids)

I didn't have to wait long at all in the E.R. which made me more anxious. Aren't you supposed to wait for hours when you are there? Guess I was a serious case. I'm not complaining.

They did lots of tests, ruled out lots of things, and diagnosed me with pericarditis.

Pericarditis is an inflammation of the pericardium (the fibrous sac surrounding the heart). A characteristic chest pain is often present.
From Wikipedia

They give me a couple of prescriptions and I'm on my way.  Making the last half of the shower!!!!  I was so excited I could get there.  I talked to SB on the phone while in my hospital bed, and I was extremely emotional, not because I was afraid of being there- in the hospital, but so sad that I might miss her shower. Sad that I might miss a moment to celebrate my buddy Silas joining her family.

Anyways, things don't get better. Now I'm freaking out a little.  The E.R. referred me to a cardiologist for a follow up appointment, but they wouldnt see me until May 5th. Hello! I won't even be in the state at that time.

Things get worse.  I can't sit.  Standing and walking around are the only things that keep me partially comfortable. My chest is tight and heavy. It's laboring to breathe. 

Thank goodness for family with connections.  I got in to see a cardiologist last Wednesday. Thank the Lord.  

Side note:  I was a little nervous to meet this Dr.  I met him once before, when my precious grandfather was in the hospital, on the last day of his life.  I met him when he told my family that there was nothing left for him to do for my grandfather.  That was the hardest day of my life this far.  As I'm sitting in the cardiologists office, waiting for him to come in, feeling a bit nervous, I realized that it was exactly 5 years to the day that my grandfather, my Papa, went to heaven to be with his Savior.  It was 5 years to the day that that doctor looked into the eyes of my huge family and said, no more could be done. Tears.

Doc looked at my ER tests, looked at my x rays, listened to my heart and lungs, and did a stress test.  Everything was checking out.  In fact, i did NOT have pericarditis and there was nothing in my ER file to base that conclusion on.  Interesting.

He wanted me to come to the hospital the following day for an echocardiogram just to rule out anything that these other tests could miss. (their machine was broken at the time).

I left there feeling better than I had in a week.  Very strange.  In fact, i stayed feeling well that evening, through the night, and during the morning.  My mom went with me back to the hospital this time.  On the way there, my symptoms started returning.  They came back in full when we entered the main part of the hospital. The part I hadn't been in since my grandfather died.  

The echo checked out perfectly. Good strong heart.

I met with the Doc again, afterwards, and he is pretty sure it's stress/anxiety. 


Stress and anxiety can do this to me?! What?! I was relieved and frustrated. Relieved that nothing was really wrong me. Frustrated that this move was doing this to me.  I didn't even realize I was that stressed. I thought I was handling it really well. 

The Doc explained that he knew this had to be extremely stressful for me.  He knows the closeness of my family.  He knows I have two young boys.  He said for me not to be bearing this stress emotionally, it had to manifest itself another way.

Though hard to believe, I believed him, especially after seeing what stress has done to my mom.

I am my mother's daughter. :)

He prescribed me a chill pill as needed.  I've only needed it a couple of times, and my symptoms completely disappear after I take it.  

The funny thing, is that since we have figured out what was going on, my symptoms have decreased greatly. You better believe I'm praising the Lord for that!!

So, I was excited to spend this weekend, feeling good, catching up on some rest, and playing with my family.


Sinus Infection.


But I'll take it.  I still feel 100 times better than last week and now I have meds for that too, so I'm on the mend. In fact, Joe is helping...

Upon returning from the doctor's office this morning, he insisted
that he take off my boring nude color band aid and replace it
with an awesome Spongebob one. Because Spongebob makes
boo boos better faster. Perfect placement, Joe!

I know that was long. But, please read the post below this one too! We want your help!

Have any of you had anything like this happen from stress?!? Tell me I'm not the only one.


Ashley W said...

OHHH GIRL!! I went to the ER 3 times {once Heath had to carry me in} because I thought I was having a heart attack..Left arm and chest pains, racing heart..the works. My mom finally took me to her group of doctors where I saw a neuralogist, cardiologist, general pract. and had blood ran to test me for EVERYTHING! Results: ANXIETY!! I cried :)

Tkh said...

Sweet Misty - I read your blog after I posted on fb. At that point I was still thinking you had pericarditis. Well I'm glad you don't but so sorry you've been through all this. Shoot Misty, I remember feeling that having the responsibility of two young children was "all I could take" somedays. And throw a big move in there and all of the unknown that comes with it... That's an awful lot of life thrown at ya. Cut yourself a break that your body is telling you to slow down and breathe easy! I pray you are truly able to find ways to de-stress and to lay it all at His feet. For me that's not always an easy thing to do.

Thank you Misty for sharing so openly and honestly so that this mother knows how to pray for one of His precious precious children. Love, Mrs. Hubbell